birding-aus

eBird

To: <>, <>
Subject: eBird
From: "Steve Read" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 18:32:14 +1100
Hi all

Would not simpler metrics be the proportion of records (eBird lists) in a given
area that contain one or more sea-eagle sightings, or the mean number of
sea-eagles per eBird records for a given area?  These metrics would allow for
variation in the number of observers, through allowing for variation in the
number of eBird records. They do assume that birders are not attracted to an
area because of the number of sea-eagles, though, but that could be a
second-order problem.

Steve

(not a postdoctoral fellow in mathematics at the University of Melbourne...
although 30 years ago I was a postdoctoral fellow in plant cell biology at that
university! 😊)