birding-aus

12 BARN SWALLOWS at LOWER DAINTREE today

To: "" <>
Subject: 12 BARN SWALLOWS at LOWER DAINTREE today
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 10:30:08 +0000
hello all,

at 5:15pm today I found the first Barn Swallows of the season for FNQ - 12 of
them on the wires above the paddock at the south-east corner of Capt Cook Hwy
and Cape Tribulation Rd, Lower Daintree, with a few Welcome Swallows, and Tree
and Fairy Martins.

this arrival is a few weeks earlier than normal, and I wouldn't be surprised at
all if these are some of the same individuals that hung around Newell Beach for
a few weeks in Jan/Feb earlier this year. We had as many as 30+ birds together
then.

I will keep an eye on this site and the Newell site over the next month or so
if anyone wants to be updated...

still no needletails or Fork-tailed Swifts for the Cairns-Daintree region
lowlands this season yet, but they are due any day now...

naturally, if any Red-rumped Swallows turn up, I will be on here alerting
everyone!

cheers,

martin cachard,

solar whisper wildlife cruises,