birding-aus

Scrubwrens in inner west Sydney

To: 'Greg and Val Clancy' <>, 'Charles' <>, Casimir Liber <>
Subject: Scrubwrens in inner west Sydney
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 22:55:02 +0000
I suspect WBSWs can disperse to and colonise areas quite easily. I studied
the physiological and behavioural ecology of the WBSW for my PhD in Western
Australia in the early 1980s. I had three study sites, a coastal dune site
south of Perth, the coastal dunes at the Eyre Bird Observatory and the open
scrubland of Hamelin Station, Shark Bay.  The latter site was heavily
over-grazed by sheep and feral goats (among other things) and had a very
open habitat structure, but it still provided habitat for WBWSs at very low
population densities. It's definitely very marginal habitat for the species
and I suspect it had been populated in part by individuals dispersing from
scrubbier habitat closer to the coastline and further up the peninsula. I
don't know if WBSWs still inhabit Hamelin Station, perhaps others on
Birding-aus could provide an update.

In south-eastern Australia, I've seen WBSWs in rural areas where most of the
woodland has been cleared. They are usually associated with creek lines that
weave through the landscape, especially in the Murray-Darling Basin, and
especially along creeks that have blackberry brambles. I suspect the creeks
are important highways of dispersal for scrubwrens.

I don't think it would be very difficult for WBSWs to disperse through an
urban landscape, provided that there are a few dense bushes or shrubs
(includdy shrubby weeds) adequately spaced along green corridors. The main
constraint would be the presence of predators, both native (e.g. currawongs)
and introduced (e.g. cats, rodents). I don't know if they would be excluded
from suitable habitat if there are large numbers of aggressive birds such as
Noisy Miners and Common Mynas, but I suspect they would be okay if there are
bushes or shrubs they can seek refuge in.

On the whole, WBSWs seem quite hardy animals. My research of the WA
populations showed that coastal scrubwrens can survive quite well on a salty
diet because they could tolerate high salt loadings in the body and they
had, for a bird species, well-developed kidneys. This is because strong
coastal winds carry salt spray from the ocean and deposit some of it onto
the coastal dunes, so everything gets coated with salt, including the food
that they consume. This is probably not an issue facing birds in inner
western Sydney, but I thought I'd throw that observation in just to
demonstrate the resilience of this species.

Kind regards,
Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Director
AMBROSE ECOLOGICAL SERVICES PTY LTD

m: 0402 225 481  t: 02 9808 1236  f: 02 9807 6865
PO Box 246, Ryde NSW 1680
web:  www.ambecol.com.au
LinkedIn:  http://au.linkedin.com/in/drstephenambrose