birding-aus

big listers

To: Tony Russell <>
Subject: big listers
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 16:47:03 +0000
Increasing age is one reason why birders moderate their twitching (or listing).
 However having a partner with different interests or level of interest is
another.  My study of US birding couples found that male birders in particular
(and twitchers/listers tend to be male) preferred to watch birds with their
partner, and commonly moderated their birding behaviour to encourage their
involvement.

It also appears, from the study, that being in a committed relationship
influenced the types of organisations participants joined and also their
propensity to travel independently of organised tours.  It may also be that
such relationships also affect involvement in intensive birding events (other
research has demonstrated the reluctance of US women birders to participate in
such events).  Of course the situation may be different in Australia, .

I’m presenting a paper on this topic at CAUTHE (Council for Australasian
Tourism and Hospitality Education) to be held in New Zealand next month.
Anyone interested in the abstract is welcome to contact me.

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841
043 8650 835

On 7 Jan 2017, at 9:17 am, Tony Russell <> wrote:

> Most of my friends with whom I used to do lots of twitching all over the
> country have now got older and can no longer put in the effort for weeks
> away in the donga and tropics. The steam seems to have gone out of it, and
> as for putting in reports all the time, well it's no longer our scene. When
> a good vagrant blows in we may sometimes do a dash and go after it but not
> always, and by that time it's been reported anyway. So what if we don't get
> to see it?  It's no longer any big deal.
>
> How's that for cheerful.?  Tony, once a jolly twitchman.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>