birding-aus

RFI Singapore birding

To: Bob Gosford <>
Subject: RFI Singapore birding
From: Tom Wilson <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:02:48 +0000
Hi Bob
I try and bird when I’m in Singapore for work.  What can be done depends on how
much your colleague wants to do and how mobile he(?) is – both personally and
the public transport vs. taxi (not expensive) equation.  Taxis can be arranged
to pick up at more out of the way locations (eg McRitchie Reservoirs/Central
Catchment or Bukit Timah) where it is harder to flag a passing vehicle when one
pops out of the park/scrub/forest.  The Botanic Gardens, Gardens-by-the-Bay,
Pasir Ris Park and Kanji Marshes/Sungei Buloh Wetlands are all accessible by
public transport (eg rail and/or bus) and have good birds – esp for the first
time visitor.
Pasir Ris is not far from the airport and offers the possibility of Spotted
Wood and Buffy Fish-Owls, as well as woodpeckers and kingfishers.  This site
(http://10000birds.com/layover-in-singapore.htm) talks about Pasir Ris and the
Botanic Gardens.
Gardens-by-the-Bay is attracting more birds as the site becomes established and
has the added bonus of a very nice hawker-style food centre – Satay-by-the-Bay
– conveniently next to a pond that attracts some good birds!  (Satay, Tiger
Beer, Whistling Ducks and Yellow Bitterns – could one ask for anything more?)
Facebook has a Singapore Birders group if your colleague is on that forum –
joining this will show some spots as well (although he will need to interpret
the shorthand that accompanies the photos).
Nature Society of Singapore (www.nss.org.sg) and Singapore Nat’l Parks
(https://www.nparks.gov.sg/activities/experiencing-nature/bird-watching) have
site suggestions too.
Sadly, the Bidadari Cemetery site (which 12 months ago would have been top of
my list) has fallen prey to development and it remains to be seen if the
greenery that is planned to remain once the bulldozers and cranes have done
their business means it retains its migrants hotspot status of the past few
years .
Cheers
Tom Wilson

PS I copied all the other groups here (where I can) so this note (if useful)
ends up in archives for others to use.