birding-aus

Mixed feeding groups

To: 'Sonja Ross' <>, "" <>
Subject: Mixed feeding groups
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 04:53:20 +0000
A curious question not because it might not happen but because there are so
many possibilities. Where I am in Canberra this is well known as a big
feature of the bird behaviour of the cool months. Typically thornbills,
whistlers, fantails, silvereyes, I don't know how you would pick a leader
species, as they sort of move as a mass. Is the leader consistent? Is it
based on the species or on individuals. As in do all the members of one
species move then all the members of another species. I doubt it.

For a start I wonder whether this "Obviously it happens in Britain that one
species must lead." is intended as a joke that this be obvious and what is
the punch line.

Philip