birding-aus

Vale John Gamblin

To: Bill Stent <>
Subject: Vale John Gamblin
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:53:38 +0000
Farewell, JAG. A sad day for us all. We've lost someone who cared - about
birds and animals around him, without favour; about the environment; and
most of all, about people.

John looked after so many injured and abandoned creatures, and others have
written about Eggy, who I was lucky enough to meet (but I'm not sure which
generation of "Eggy" it was!). I have lots of wonderful memories of JAG.
His baffling posts to birding-aus in the early days, ringing him to ask how
to care for several escaped cockatiels that kept turning up in our yard,
and later asking him again how to tend to a couple that had been injured.
Visiting him on his birthday, with my daughter, and having fish and chips
in the twilight in front of his house, with all sorts of animals quite
comfortable in our presence and each others' presence. His crazy puns on
Facebook once he'd moved to that forum (and how much joy it gave him we can
only guess at). And just a couple of weeks ago, a wonderful barbecue that
JAG hosted at his own expense, with neighbours, friends, and a bunch of
birders who call ourselves the Mad Buggers - it may have been John who
first used the term, I don't know, but it really sums him up. He was
generous and caring, peaceful and thought little for comfort or
possessions. Just the sort of person the rest of the world thinks is a bit
"mad," but the sort of person we need a lot more of.

And from today there is one less.

Rest in peace, JAG.

On 16 February 2016 at 18:19, Bill Stent <> wrote:

> This morning our friend John Gamblin passed away, after a lengthy illness.
>
> I first emailed John after having read one of his typically off-beat posts
> to Birding-Aus.
>
> The conversation lasted 15 years.
>
> Like many of us, I can say I've never met anyone who had such a different
> on-email and in-person demeanour.  Receiving emails from John was equal
> parts hilarious and baffling. In person, John was thoughtful, lucid and
> caring, but always with a Goon Show-esque sense of humour.
>
> The moderation team were lucky enough to spend Australia Day with John,
> who shouted us the entire barbecue. He was at that stage in palliative
> care, and was in fine form.  He was just as chirpy on Saturday when I last
> saw him. He was chuckling cheekily about the prospect of Tony Russell ever
> seeing the Crested Honey-buzzard in Perth. I'm attaching a beautiful
> portrait of John taken by Ruth on Australia Day. I hope Ruth doesn't mind.
>
> Good bye, John, I am honoured to have been your friend.
>
> Bill
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>