birding-aus

Crested Honey Buzzard

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Crested Honey Buzzard
From: Jonny Schoenjahn <>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 23:29:10 +0000
Hi Ross,

your posting made me go to see the Crested/Oriental Honey Buzzard, finally.
Thank you for the stimulus. I am a hopeless twitcher - I believe the bird had
been there since late last year, and the location is just about half an hour’s
drive from my place.

I went to the Recreation Centre, as instructed, and after only 10 minutes heard
a distant single note of a Little Eagle, i.e. from quite high up, and soaring
with it was the Honey Buzzard, which was slightly larger, with greater wingspan
than the Little Eagle. Nevertheless the Little Eagle mobbed occasionally the
Honey Buzzard, but both birds did not take it seriously.

Date: Monday, 8th of Feb.
Observation time: 11:35–11:45 am.
Temperature was around 40˚C, with a top of 42˚C on that day.

Happy birding,
Jonny

Jonny Schoenjahn
Perth WA