birding-aus

Notes on Cape York Subspecies and Rarities

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Notes on Cape York Subspecies and Rarities
From: "cgregory123 ." <>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 02:40:53 +0000
Interesting after listening to the calls on the Pizzey app that Cicadabird
calls (north vs south) are quite different. The most obvious difference is
the frequency with the southern birds having a beat of about 3 per second
and the NQ birds much slower at about 1 per sec. Pizzey also notes " Birds
in far ne. Q have very different calls: e.g. a loud, ringing 'cree, cree'
etc."
Cheers
Chris

On 28 January 2016 at 12:50, Peter Morgan <> wrote:

> Bev, who has very good hearing - as apart from myself, being restricted to
> Kookaburras and suchlike - commented that the call of the Cicadabird was
> different while we were up there, and just wondered if it was part of their
> repertoire that she hadn't heard down here in the Clarence area.
>
> Peter Morgan
> The conservation battle is never finally won; the development battle is.
>
> > On 28 Jan 2016, at 11:12 AM, Chris Sanderson <>
> wrote:
> >
> > The 'wet tropics' cicadabird is sympatric in places up there with the
> > "normal" cicadabird, and has different seasonal movements according to
> > locals I've spoken with. I have heard both calls and they are notably
> > different so I can see why people are interested in them.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Chris
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Mike Carter <>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> My understanding is that visually there is little or no difference but
> >> that the calls
> ... of the Boobook?
> >> are very different. I’m sure Lloyd Nielsen would have
> >> mentioned this in his book on Birds of the Wet Tropics but having just
> >> moved, I’m still to unpack it or find which shelf it is on!
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >>

> >> Mike Carter, 03 5977 1262
> >>

> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list