birding-aus

Interesting morning of birding

To: Brian & Meg <>, "" <>
Subject: Interesting morning of birding
From: Greg and Val Clancy <>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 03:35:46 +0000
Hi Brian and Meg,

I can't recall three species together but a few years back I was watching a
Sacred Kingfisher on a mudflat at Ukerabagh Island Nature Reserve at Tweed
Heads, NSW when a much larger Collared Kingfisher flew in and chased it off.
On another occasion I was driving on Woodford Island, NSW, when a kingfisher
flew across in front of our vehicle.  I thought Forest Kingfisher as I was
sure that I saw the white wing spots but when we stopped there was a Sacred
Kingfisher looking down at us.  I thought that I was going mad until I look
higher in the same tree and there was a Forest Kingfisher!  I have also
observed Forest and Sacred Kingfishers fighting over a nesting site.

Regards

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide