birding-aus

Budgies in the SW of WA?

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Budgies in the SW of WA?
From: Jonny Schoenjahn <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 10:55:10 +0000
Hi all

Budgies in the SW of WA – not the most pressing issue, I admit.

I agree with Frank that Purple-crowned Lorikeets are a possibility in the SW of
WA, but I don’t think that one would easily confuse these “short-tailed,
screaming bullets” with budgies. More likely to be confused with budgies in
flight are, in my eyes, Elegant Parrots. Each summer I spend some time at
Yallingup/Dunsborough, and I have seen small flocks of Elegant Parrots in that
area during summer at various occasions. I wouldn’t put my money on Rock
Parrot, although this species occurs in that area.

All this said, all of them have wings.

Happy New year to all!

Jonny

Jonny Schoenjahn