birding-aus

The Decline of BA

To: Steve Clark <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: The Decline of BA
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 08:46:39 +0000
I think this was an interesting discussion to have, as I had really noticed the
decline in twitching reports (which I sometimes followed but was more out of
interest - I rarely would race off to add a tick to my list, unless in
reasonable proximity to where I happen to be). It seems this has been replaced
by the Facebook page - in many ways the immediacy of FB suits this requirement.
I have joined the Birding-Aus Group on FB but don't look at it very often (my
feeling it is mainly aimed at photographers, which I don't have the patience or
skill for). I mainly use FaceBook to keep up with family (and for sharing
photos to friends) and so I don't use it as a resource for info on potential
birding spots like I have with Birding-Aus.
I was worried that there had been a decline in trip reports and RFIs, but it
seems this may not be the case (will test this later in the week when I put in
a request for info on an upcoming Melbourne trip). For longer reports I think
the CloudBirder website is excellent (and I think it replaced TravellingBirder?
which disappeared a few years ago) - I have put a few on there (including PNG)
and when I finish my Cape York trip report from last year I will put it there
as well.
Finally, I know of a number of people that regularly scan the archives of
birding-aus but have never contributed (often because of the issues raised by
others in this chain) and this forms an important resource and hopefully
continues - and in the long run it is possibly more important that people can
search the archives to find out how to access somewhere like Boat Harbour
rather than get info on the American Golden Plover that frequented there for a
while a few years ago (the BARC submission if done should have that detail).
Cheers,
Peter

> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 10:47:27 +1100
> Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] The Decline of BA
>
> G'day all
>
> In my post which started this thread I mentioned the fact that Facebook
> isn't (as far as I know) searchable by Google, Bing etc.  So an interesting
> behaviour observation someone posts today will be essentially lost to
> future birders.  This was not the case with birding-aus which is archived
> and searchable.
>
> Apart from that I don't really care which forum people use.  If you want to
> report something that people can access in years to come post it on
> birding-aus at least and Facebook as well if you wish.
>
> People rightly reject Facebook because of all the baggage that comes with
> it.  Me too!  However you can access just the groups on iOS and Android
> phones and tablets without all the baggage.  Search your app store for the
> Facebook Groups app.  There is no version for standard computers
> unfortunately (as far as I know).
>
> Oh, and ask anyone under 30 what they think of email as a means of
> communication.  My three kids won't use it.
>
> Cheers
> Steve Clark
> Hamilton, Victoria
> <HR>