birding-aus

The Decline of BA

To: 'Jenny Spry' <>, 'birding-aus' <>
Subject: The Decline of BA
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 00:09:44 +0000
Jenny, I hope you and others do return to making contributions to BA.  I'd
love to hear about your 2-day road trip to Culburra, for instance.

For me, the value of BA is the ability of contributors to share their
knowledge about birds and bird-watching.  Sometimes there are great in-depth
discussions on a broad range of topics which you wouldn't find elsewhere
because other forums don't provide that opportunity (word limits or
formats).  As a community, we have a broad range of expertise that is not
just limited to birds and birding, which some of us are willing to share
with others. Of course, there is also the invaluable archival value of this
information that others have commented on.  I hope all that continues. I
have belonged to a number of online discussion groups (not just limited to
birds) and I have to say that BA is the most successful of them all in terms
of sharing information and promoting further discussion.

Of course, BA is not perfect and is open to abuse. I have no time for
sledging, "birdy politics" and grandstanding, and it is unfortunate that
these behaviours sometimes exist on BA and others are deterred from
contributing to BA because of them.  I think that the BA moderators have
been extremely good at minimising this behaviour over the years but, of
course, some occasionally slip through and moderators have no control over
abusive emails being sent directly to individual subscribers.

I think it would be a very sad day if and when BA closed down.

Kind regards,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW