birding-aus

Is anyone else sick of BirdLife Australia marketing?

To: Fred Mack <>
Subject: Is anyone else sick of BirdLife Australia marketing?
From: Ian May <>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 00:23:32 +0000
Me too Fred.  I now wish there was an alternative, just like the old
BOCA to join.  Somehow BOCA conservation drives seemed linked more to
the genuine needs of birds compared to the current situation.  I feel
guilty about my negative thoughts on this subject but now, whenever I
see a new request for conservation funding support, I cant help asking
"who are the human beneficiaries"? before I ask the more important
question,  is this cause genuine?

Ian May

Fred Mack wrote:

>https://support.birdlife.org.au/emailviewonwebpage.aspx?erid=2407986&trid=43b5737e-fb8a-4471-b824-64047318c034
>
>"With numbers down 84%...  how long before the Lesser Sand Plover is extinct?
>"This Silent Shorebirds Crisis can't continue."
>
>Silent crisis? seriously, it's been at the forefront of ornithology for 10
>years hasn't it... are BirdLife Australia just realizing this?.. and is this
>actually true? Given these people have recently said in similar marketing 90%
>of Australia's woodlands have been cleared in the past few decades, we need to
>protect private land for Mallee- Emu-wrens (they never occured on private land
>as far as I know) and Magpies are going extinct, you have to wonder?
>
>I've supported this organization in the past to the tune of tens of thousands
>and all I get is constant negative doomsday marketing trying to guilt me into
>things. They must send me a dozen a year. Add to that a massive and
>insultingly invasive, "supporter survey" asking me everything from my income
>to where live!
>
>These people do wonderful actual conservation and research work - I know I
>help with much of it and they are great! but for god's sake who is running
>this organization these days?
>
>Is anyone else totally sick of them or is it just me?
>
>Frank.
>

><HR>
><BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
><BR>
><BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
></HR>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>