birding-aus

Back from Finland to Australia, NSW: Sydney, Moss Vale, Parkes etc.

To: Jason McHattan <>
Subject: Back from Finland to Australia, NSW: Sydney, Moss Vale, Parkes etc.
From: Harry Nyström <>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 07:26:47 +0000
Thanks Jason!

This indeed looks promising! There are of course dozens of other birds on
my list, so let's hope they are just as easy with Peter leading the way.
But in the end we only get what we get, and that's it. A lot relies on good
luck and coincidence. But still wishing for a real life wild koala... That
would definitely be the highlight of my trip.

Cheers,
-Harry

P.S. My extended list below with emphasis on the ones written in *bold*
(don't mind the impossible ones):

*Emu Australian Brush-turkey Malleefowl King Quail *Whistling Duck (either
one)

*Musk Duck Freckled Duck *Australian Shelduck
Blue-billed Duck
Yellow-billed Spoonbill
Australasian Bittern
Black Bittern

*Nankeen Night Heron *(Any Booby or Frigatebird)
Square-tailed Kite

*Pacific Baza *Brahminy Kite
Eastern Osprey
Crakes and Rails (only have Buff-breasted)
Brolga

*Buttonquails, any will do *Stone-curlews, either one

*Oystercatchers, Pied or Sooty Banded Lapwing *Red-kneed Dotterel
Inland Dotterel (one can always hope)
Any Plovers or Dotterels (excl. Black-fronted)
Australian Painted Snipe
Any Sandpiper or Stint
Pratincoles?
Fairy Tern
Little Tern
Sooty Tern
Whiskered Tern
White-winged Black Tern
Gull-billed Tern
Caspian Tern

*Pacific Gull White-headed Pigeon Brown Cuckoo-dove Emerald Dove Brush
Bronzewing Diamond Dove Bar-shouldered Dove Wonga Pigeon Wompoo Fruit-dove
Superb Fruit-dove? Rose-crowned Fruit-dove Topknot Pigeon Pheasant Coucal
Pacific (Eastern) Koel (not there yet?) Channel-billed Cuckoo (not there
yet?) *Black-eared Cuckoo
Shining Bronze-cuckoo
Pallid Cuckoo
Fan-tailed Cuckoo
Brush Cuckoo

*Owls! (of course I already have Powerful Owl) Nightjars! Australian
Owlet-nightjar Dollarbird (not there yet?) Kingfishers (I have Sacred and
Kookaburra) Rainbow Bee-eater (not there yet?) Glossy Black Cockatoo
Gang-gang Cockatoo Major Mitchell’s Cockatoo *Long-billed Corella

*Cockatiel *Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
Musk Lorikeet
Little Lorikeet (photos)
Australian Ringneck
Mulga Parrot

*Turquoise Parrot Budgerigar Eastern Ground Parrot Australian King Parrot
Superb Parrot Noisy Pitta Superb Lyrebird *Rufous Scrubbird

*Green Catbird Regent Bowerbird Satin Bowerbird *Red-browed Treecreeper

*Variegated Fairy-wren Splendid Fairy-wren*

*Red-backed Fairy-wren? White-winged Fairy-wren Southern Emu-wren Scarlet
HE *Tawny-crowned HE

*Crescent HE *White-cheeked HE

*Painted HE *White-naped HE
Black-chinned HE
White-eared HE

*Crimson Chat *Orange Chat

*Yellow-tufted HE Bell Miner *Mangrove HE?
Lewin’s HE
Eastern Bristlebird
Pilotbird

*Rockwarbler Chestnut-rumped Heathwren *Speckled Warbler
Yellow-throated Scrubwren
Large-billed Scrubwren
Mangrove Gerygone
White-throated Gerygone
Inland Thornbill
Chestnut-rumped Thornbill
Buff-rumped Thornbill
Southern Whiteface

*Australian Logrunner Eastern Whipbird Spotted Quail-thrush Woodswallows
Grey Currawong *Ground Cuckoo-shrike
White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike

*Common Cicadabird *White-winged Triller

*Varied Sittella *Crested Bellbird

*Crested Shriketit *Olive Whistler

*Gilbert’s Whistler Golden Whistler Rufous Whistler *Little Shrikethrush

*Spangled Drongo Rufous Fantail Black-faced Monarch Leaden Flycatcher Satin
Flycatcher *Pale-yellow Robin
Hooded Robin

*Rose Robin Flame Robin Scarlet Robin *Horsfield’s Bush Lark
Red-whiskered Bulbul
White-backed Swallow
Brown Songlark
Tawny Grassbird
Little Grassbird

*Bassian Thrush Beautiful Firetail Diamond Firetail (photos) Plum-headed
Finch Zebra Finch Double-barred Finch*

> That sounds like a great trip Harry.
>
> Just a few comments to your list as it relates to the Northern Beaches of
> Sydney:
>

> -Australian Brushturkey
> -Eastern Whipbird
> -Variegated Fairy-wren
> -Scarlet HE
> -Robins (Rose)
> If you're heading to Warriewood, you could see all these at Irrawong
> Reserve, which adjoins the wetlands <1km.
> The first three are definites, the last two are quite possible.
>
> -Little Penguin
> By the harbour around Manly, Little Manly, Collins Beach area. I've never
> actually gone looking for them as I usually
> see them on the water either in Middle Harbour or Pittwater where they are
> a regular occurrence.
>
> -Pacific Baza
> -Pacific Koel
> -Channel-billed Cuckoo
> It's probably still a bit early for these. They come to the Northern
> Beaches in Summer.
>
> -Glossy Black Cockatoo
> In the area around Kimbriki Waste Recycling Centre and the Terrey Hills
> area. Usually very conspicuous when in flight.
>
> -Australian King Parrot
> Most places on the Northern Beaches, though not as common as the Rainbow
> Lorikeet.
>
> -Australian Golden Whistler
> Narrabeen Lake. It's worth a walk around the lake, 8.5km for a full
> circuit, or just go out and back along the
> Southern shore between Jamieson Park and Middle Creek Reserve. Lots of
> birds to see along that stretch.
>
> Regards,
> Jason.
>

> <HR>