birding-aus

X Breeding in the wild.

To: "" <>
Subject: X Breeding in the wild.
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 04:52:22 +0000
Yes Crimson x Eastern Rosella hybrids are not so uncommon (certainly in
Canberra). Though it is odd to happen that much, when both species are
common. Hybrids would appear more likely when one species is rare. These are
interspecific hybrids which are of course (normally) much less common that
hybrids between members of the same species, such as Crimson and Yellow
Rosella at the region where the two forms meet. The questions are about how
frequent these events are and whether the hybrids are able to attract a mate
and are fertile and form an intergradation zone. Typically in the case of
Crimson and Yellow Rosella they do as they are the same species so it is
debatable as to whether they should be called hybrids any more than
interracial people pairings. Crimson x Eastern Rosella are not the same
species. But the whole thing highlights that the context of species
boundaries and definitions is not always clear.

Philip