birding-aus

Emus and Pines

To: "" <>
Subject: Emus and Pines
From: Chris Corben <>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 21:59:50 +0000
Well in southern Qld, you can get lots of bird in Pinus plantations if
an understory has developed well, which often happens along old drainage
lines and sometimes much more extensively.

But don't write it off too easily! I have found lots of Masked Owls in
older Pinus plantations. They seem to be residents there, and Barn Owls
can out number them at certain times (their numbers seem to fluctuate a
lot more).

But do be careful! Pinus plantations can be really boring! I still show
an injury where a famous birder hit me in the eyebrow with a Xanthorrhea
spear! Stupid things people get up to when the birding is slow....  And
yes, I was hardy blameless!

Cheers, Chris.

--

Chris Corben.