birding-aus

Family Friendly Activities in Cairns

To: Peter Ewin <>, "" <>
Subject: Family Friendly Activities in Cairns
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 03:28:48 +0000
Hi Peter,

To add to Ian Sinclair's nice suggestions...

The best birder- and family- friendly reef trip is with Seastar, without doubt.
It gets to Michaelmas Cay I think an hour or so before any other boat, and the
heads out to Hastings reef as well.

Green Island is always worth a trip too, even if just to see the Buff-banded
Rails running around your feet. It's also a great spot for Rose-crowned
Fruit-doves too.

I reckon the best Daintree River option is with Dave on "Solar Whisper". He
knows his birds, and has a very safe electric boat which is silent and gets
closer than most operators would only dream of - he runs trips throughout the
day, and a mid to late arvi one would be a great option. I can give u his phone
number off list.

I'd skip on Mossman Gorge unless you go early in morn (say 7am) and on a
weekday.

The Kuranda area is good for birds too, especially in the mornings - a quiet
stroll along Black Mountain Rd from where the dirt starts would be worthwhile -
just ensure u are watchful of traffic, but u will def hear it coming in any
case. once u get back to your car after a short walk, drive along a bit further
to repeat the process - good chance of a Cassowary, all fruit-doves, Barred
Cuckoo-shrikes..etc. Also the Barron Falls raised walk down from the carpark
can be great for Pied Monarch, Noisy Pitta, but early mornings are best. It's
also reliable for the paradise-kingfishers but u will be too early, as they
usually arrive late Oct at best, but often as late as first or 2nd week of Nov.

cheers,
martin cachard,
trinity beach, cairns...

> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 22:10:30 +1000
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Family Friendly Activities in Cairns
>
> Before I head north to Cape York (see previous email) the family (Cate + 3
> kids - 4, 7 and 9) are spending a week in Cairns. We have a couple places
> booked to the north of Cairns, and a couple of nights at Atherton (because it
> is nioce there). I am looking at doing some family friendly activities (that
> might drag a few birds in as well).
> The three things I would like comment are:
> Reef trip - I would like to get to Michaelmas, but is that realistic with a
> family? If so any recommendations for good operators? If not is the
> birding/reef on Green Island worth the day (we went to Low Isles many years
> ago and is that a better option now)?I am thinking about Daintree River
> Cruise - but don't really want to do the 4AM start to do the birdwatching
> one. Any recommendations for a trip that gives good wildlife sightings
> (including crocs and good birds) and is family friendly (in both time and
> price)?Is the Kuranda Skyrail (and then return by train which I have never
> done) worth a day trip? We will probably end up in Kuranda at some stage, and
> the day being a true tourist is tempting. Any reviews either way?Does anyone
> else have some family friendly suggestions - we will visit some of the parks
> around Atherton, and might head up to Mossman Gorge as well, but any
> suggestions appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> <HR>