birding-aus

Grasswrens and fairy-wrens

Subject: Grasswrens and fairy-wrens
From: Graeme Chapman <>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 10:21:50 +1000
Hello Carl,

Thank you so much for your feedback and kind remarks. It's nice to know that
I'm not the only grasswren fanatic.

Planning and displaying my website has taken many thousands of hours work and
is ongoing, but I am starting to slow down. There is much more to do and I
wonder whether I'll ever get it to the near-finished stage. There is so much
original content (not just plagiarised from books) that is the result of my
life-long association with birds, both at work (when I worked for CSIRO) and at
play.

I might just mention here some of the better sections of the site which I think
few people are aware of.  The last word on ravens and crows  including the
calls - I worked on them for nearly ten years and was instrumental in the
"discovery" of the Little Raven and Forest Raven. Corellas compared - only
possible because of my years in the west researching cockatoos.  Egrets,
thornbills, noddies, grasswrens, bristlebirds, cuckoos, Myiagra flycatchers and
the list goes on. I do admit, seabirds are lacking - sorry but I don't like
boats.

You would have to be the only person alive whose first grasswren was a
White-throated. For most people, it's exactly the opposite. Good luck with all
the others. The one I've had the most difficulty with is the Central Australian
form of the Striated, recently named Amytornis oweni, the Sandhill Grasswren.
I've yet to discover somewhere short of inland W.A. where it can be reliably
found. Maybe someone reading this can make a suggestion?

Cheers

Graeme Chapman
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list