birding-aus

wind damage

To: <>
Subject: wind damage
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 10:57:41 +1000
Hi Jason,

I've just come back from a week at Holbrook, NSW where I have been surveying
woodland bird populations along the Hume Highway.  The weather there was
very wintery - very dense cloud cover most days, only light rain showers,
low to mild temperatures and gale force winds predominantly from the
south-west. Thursday was the only day when there were no strong winds, but
the birds were still very quiet and difficult to detect.  In one travelling
stock reserve where there are usually over 30 Noisy Miners, a casual
observer would be forgiven for thinking that there were none there on that
day. But they were all there, sheltering in tree canopies, silent (not even
sounding the alarm call as I walked by), even though there was no wind and
the survey was conducted at the time of the day (first half of the morning)
when bird activity is usually high.  I really had to work hard on that day
to detect the Noisy Miners (and other bird species) in the reserve.  So
maybe your Noisy Miners on the Northern Beaches are still there, just harder
to detect.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose