birding-aus

Port Phillip Bay penguins on beaches

To: <>
Subject: Port Phillip Bay penguins on beaches
From: "Michael Norris" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 14:53:46 +1000
Hi Peter and all

Following Peter’s request I had a quick look thru the records I hold for the
City of Bayside (Brighton to Beaumaris).

I couldn’t find any records for live birds on shore at night but amongst the
many entries for dead birds there are five particularly interesting ones,
summarised below, that include headless corpses (only one low enough to be a
seal victim) and three well above sea level.

Could birds from the St Kilda colony be checking out possible nesting sites?
They may be running out of space (at times) and must have lots of energy when
they travel such small distances compared with those on Phillip Island for
their food.

Indeed their are rumours of breeding at some sites.  I’d be happy to share info
in private correspondence.

corpse (part)          Brighton Jim Willis Reserve                   c10/11/1997
bit of corpse ("shoulders" with both blue and white feathers) found under
tea-tree in dunes over 30m from beach. Beach-washed? and then eaten by fox?

dead - bits  fox?       Beaumaris: near Table Rock Point       10/06/2003
15m above sea.  Dumped by  angler - or fox?? It was quite fat and heavy.

dead - no head  fox?   Brighton: Head St to North Rd       c 23/01/2007
[area is less than 2m above sea level’]

dead cliff top          Beaumaris Monocline cliffs                  20/07/2008
[c 20m above sea level]

dead fox?                   Beaumaris nr Table Rock                2008 to 2010
Suspected/guessed left by fox. [15m above sea level]

Michael Norris
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>