birding-aus

Port Phillip Bay penguins on beaches

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Port Phillip Bay penguins on beaches
From: David Clark <>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 21:02:53 +1000
Peter

I once saw a Little Penguin sheltering on a rock ledge on the Ile des
Phoques off the east coast of Tasmania.  The skipper of our boat said that
there was usually one or two sheltering there among the Australian Fur
Seals, so taking a break on dry land (or almost dry land) during
fishing does occur.  However, sheltering on a rock ledge on an island is
very different to coming ashore on a sandy beach with a range of predators.

I guess it's possible that an Australian Fur Seal could be the culprit.

Cheers

David

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Peter Shute <> wrote:

> There was a report recently (Victorian Birders Facebook group) of a dead
> Little Penguin found mauled on a beach at the Western Treatment Plant.
> Apparently a vet has said the bird was alive when mauled. The implication
> is that it may have been killed by a dog or fox.
>
> I assume it must have been on the beach to have been caught, and I'm
> wondering if these birds often come up on beaches in the bay. I had assumed
> they normally feed in the water and only come out at the rookery.
>
> I'm also wondering if it could have been mauled by a shark or hit by a
> boat, but perhaps the blood stain patterns preclude those possibilities.
>
> Peter Shute
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list