birding-aus

Shooting at the WTP

To: "'Bill Stent'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Shooting at the WTP
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 15:44:17 +1000
The first time I went to Wyperfeld, in December 1969, we had a little dog
(with long hair). Of course we would not have known there was a restriction
against dogs in a NP when we left Melbourne for our 3 week holiday. Poor
thing got tangled up in grass seeds in a short walk around that first night.
We arrived late at night with car and caravan and drove in and set up at the
main camp ground. There was one other old couple there that week. When my
father approached the ranger (Rudd Campbell) the next morning, proudly
presenting the dog and asked for advice as to what we could do with her, he
said we could not have her there but as we wished to stay for a few days, he
told us there was a family in Yaapeet who would usually be available to take
care of a dog for a few days. Which we did. Quite a story there - turns out
that family knew the dog....... Rudd then took us around the park in his
landrover for several hours showing us the sites. Me sitting on the back
flap of the car. A lot of fun. I was 11 y.o. then. If we had been received
with negativity by the ranger it would have achieved negativity on my future
interest in nature.......

Philip