birding-aus

National Bird

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: National Bird
From: david taylor <>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 21:32:34 +1000
Agree  regarding the Grey Fantail - most Australians wouldn’t even know what
one was.

There are few iconic birds that really stand out from the pack and that would
be well known and associated with Australia and I think Emu. Superb Lyrebird,
Magpie, Budgerigah, Laughing Kookaburra, Rainbow Lorikeet, Wedge-tailed Eagle,
Major Mitchell Cockatoo and Superb fairy-wren might be a few possible
contenders?!!!

David Taylor

On 21 Mar 2015, at 8:37 pm, Philip Veerman <> wrote:

> How serious can people be about Grey Fantail? Seriously....... How many
> Australians would even know the name, let alone the bird? And (close to) no
> one outside Australia does. As for whether it is endemic, well does it
> matter? Very similar other species are in other countries. How Australian
> does it have to be? How many other countries have an eagle as their emblem?
> The southern cross on our flag is not even part of our solar
> system.........the closest star is 88 light-years from Earth, the furthest
> 364 light-years away. At a quick look at the below site on wikipedia shows
> that many of the national birds are not endemic to the specific nation (as
> not many nations are islands).
>
> Back to Martin's question. Surely most people already think the Emu & Red
> Kangaroo are our national symbols. Why bother selecting something else? The
> question is - what official standing does the Emu have as a "National Bird".
> Going by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_birds apparently it
> doesn't but what does that mean? If not, what is the administrative process
> to confirm this......... Why would any other species achieve any lesser
> administrative malaise? According to that list the Kiwi is not officially
> the National Bird of New Zealand either.
>
> Philip

David and Marg Taylor
Brisbane

<HR>