birding-aus

Fwd: National Bird

To: "'Kim Sterelny'" <>, "'David Taylor'" <>, <>
Subject: Fwd: National Bird
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 15:30:14 +1100
Hi Kim,

I accept your point that the distribution of the Grey Fantail is not
restricted to Australia. However, the Aust & NZ Grey Fantails may not be the
same species. Schodde & Mason (1999) grouped the Australian, Norfolk Island
and Melanesian Grey Fantails into one species (Rhipidura albiscapa), and
those in NZ and on Lord Howe Island into another (R. fuliginosa).
Christidis & Boles (2008) tentatively followed that grouping, while flagging
the need to further examine this relationship.  I don't know if there have
been any detailed studies since then. Perhaps others can help here.

Kind regards,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde, NSW

References

Schodde, R. & Mason, I.J. (1999). The Directory of Australian Birds.
Passerines (CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood).
Christidis, L. & Boles, W. (2008).  Systematics and Taxonomy of Australian
Birds (CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood).