birding-aus

Feral Cat Problem

To: Ian Boyd <>
Subject: Feral Cat Problem
From: David Clark <>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 17:23:29 +1100
Good point Ian, feral cats have an extremely wide range of prey species and
I'm not sure that the Night Parrot is more important than other
endangered/vulnerable species.

Of course, it could be argued that Cane Toads are doing more to reduce
biodiversity than feral cats and, while I think it is important to tackle
the cat menace, it shouldn't be at the expense of tackling the toad menace.

You're right though, as a group we should be working on getting something
done about cats, toads, foxes, and all the other issues that are
threatening biodiversity.

Cheers

David

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Ian Boyd <> wrote:

> It is a pity that it takes the slaughter of a Night Parrot by a feral cat
> to get some people up in in arms baying for action.
>
> Whether it is the death of Night Parrot or a Peaceful Dove, I feel it is
> well passed time that a concerted effort by the birding world be made to
> kick the ‘powers to be’ into action re the out of control feral cat
> problem. Hopefully, some of the vocal deep thinkers out there could guide
> us ordinary every birders into ways we can establish some positive action.
> Postings on Birding-Aus and blogs etc would not even cause a ripple. What
> can we do and how can we do it. Rather than rhetoric, let’s be pro-active
> and get something  moving before it is too late; not only for the Night
> Parrot but for those little beauties that frequent my backyard.
>
> Ian Boyd
> Townsville
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list