birding-aus

Feral Cats Kill Night Parrot.

Subject: Feral Cats Kill Night Parrot.
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 20:11:24 +1100
It sounds like a case for an unofficial blow-pipe and poisoned dart set-up... If you recover the dart and cut out adjacent area, I'm told the meat is edible, so might not poison anything else. No, I don't know what poison is used by Dyaks and South American Indians - strychnine? Frogs? Advantage is, no noise, so it can be used several times in succession without alarming prey.

I recall when I was 10 we visited a farm near Mt Arapiles (nth of Grampians). All the fences had dead Wedgetails strung up on them, because it was well-known that they killed sheep and calves. Our hosts were most enthusiastic about the then new Rabbit poison 1080. Not only did it kill the rabbits, but it killed everything that ate rabbits -"We've picked up so many foxes and hawks and eagles, it's marvellous!"

I have had doubts about poison ever since. And I may be a city person, but I am well aware how large feral cats can grow and what an utter menace they are.

Anthea Fleming