birding-aus

Mobbing behavior

To: Graeme Stevens <>
Subject: Mobbing behavior
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 15:26:04 +1100
Where I live - just outside Canberra - the usual cause of mobbing by small
birds is a leg-challenged reptile.

The local small passerines will also have a go at our Frogmouths
occasionally (but ignore them most of the time), but that seems to rely on
visual cues as the birds are usually silent in daytime.  In the past a
mobbing flock led a group to a Powerful Owl in the ANBG but the recent
visitor to Turner (North Canberra) hasn't been reported as being hassled to
my knowledge.

Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/

On 27 January 2015 at 15:03, Graeme Stevens <> wrote:

> And I have recent experience of very ethical bird guide using the
> technique in South America - Andean Pygmy-Owl as I recall.
> As Tom says, also works well in SE Asia.
>
> Seems to be the "Pygmy type" owls that are active and call during the day
> that create interest - and as that is something to be expected in the
> respective environments, I am not all sure it does much harm if used
> sparingly. Possibly less distressing than using the call of a territorial
> male of the same species (not wishing to inflame the call back debate -
> again)
>
> Cheers
> Graeme

<HR>