birding-aus

Mobbing behavior

To: Alan Gillanders <>
Subject: Mobbing behavior
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:06:35 +1000
Hi Terry (and Alan),

Sadly for you, to the best of my knowledge there is no similar behaviour in
Australian birds.  Try pishing, or playback of the target species if you
must, but you'll find most of our birds are pretty easy to find through
listening and stalking.  And to be honest for most of our very shy species
I have had better views not using playback than on the rare occasions I've
used it.

Alan, for reference, playback of Screech-Owl calls in the US is probably
not much more intrusive than pishing as long as it's used ethically.  You
play the call once or twice, and curious passerines fly in to see what's
causing the fuss.

Cheers,
Chris

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Alan Gillanders <
> wrote:

> I am surprised that this email has not caused a mobbing behaviour from
> birders. It go my hackles up. We all interfere with the birds to some
> extent but this?
> Alan
>

> Alan's Wildlife Tours
> 2 Mather Road
> Yungaburra 4884
>
> Phone 07 4095 3784
> Mobile 0408 953 786
> http://www.alanswildlifetours.com.au/
> -----Original Message----- From: Terry Witt
> Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 06:48 PM
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] Mobbing behavior
>

> I will be spending a month in S Australia Nov/Dec this year.  In the US,
> tape of E Screech-Owl can be very effective in attracting a variety of
> small birds (at least in the East).  Is there a similar species in S Oz
> that causes mobbing behavior??
>
> Cheers
>
> Terry Witt
> Murfreesboro Tn, USA