birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 12 Jan 2015 08:39:34 +1000
   Birdline New South Wales

   Published sightings for the week ending 11 Jan 2015.

   Sun 11 Jan Painted Honeyeater 15 km Sth of Condobolin
   The four or five pairs of Painted HEs are still present and breeding.
   Found a nest today with two large chicks just about to fledge. Also
   present were Superb Parrots and numerous Mistletoebirds with juveniles.
   Finally good rains recently have given the area some kind of Spring as
   a lot of the small birds are now starting a late breeding.
   Warren Chad
   White-rumped Sandpiper, Broad-billed Sandpiper, Lesser Sand-plover,
   Fairy Tern Lake Wollumboola
   White-rumped Sandpiper located on the lake near the south western
   corner of the little tern nesting area before it flew with the other
   waders to within the fenced off area. It then moved between the two
   spots, but appeared most comfortable inside the fence. At least 4
   Lesser Sand-plovers and 2 Broad-billed Sandpipers were also present.
   One Fairy Tern, two White-winged Black Terns and both knot species were
   also noted.
   Simon Gorta, Julian Teh, Lachlan Hall & others
   Whimbrel Deeban Spit Port Hacking
   1 Whimbrel standing in with 16 eastern curlews at high tide.
   Julie Keating
   Sat 10 Jan Ostrich Barham-Moama Rd and Lashbrooks Rd, NSW
   Observed 12 adult Ostriches and 6 young ones at known site at
   Lashbrooks Rd. We were approx 1 km down Lashbrooks Rd looking east.
   Birds were well away from Lashbrooks Road but could be seen with bins
   and scope.
   Jim and Greg Caine
   Streaked Shearwater, Common Noddy. Sydney Harbour National Park-North
   Head.
   Seen my first Streaked Shearwater for the summer today in with
   Wedge-tailed Shearwaters and 2 Common Noddys flying north close to the
   water.
   michael ronan.
   Wandering Whistling-duck, Black-backed Bittern, Australasian Bittern
   Fivebough Wetlands
   Two Wandering Whistling-duck were observed and photographed in the
   central pond off Petersham Rd (the first one you get to taking the
   gravel track past the entrance building). Subsequently, two
   Australasian Bittern were flushed (see ebird for details). 3
   Black-backed Bittern were flushed near the dirt mound overlooking the
   central pond the ducks were on, and a further single male was flushed
   on the sewage ponds.
   Simon Gorta, Julian Teh, Meredith Thomas
   Black Falcon Hiney Road, Orange
   Two Black Falcons perched in dead tree over paddock with calling Brown
   Quail, one flew when disturbed.
   Neville Schrader
   White-rumped Sandpiper & Broad-billed Sandpiper Lake Wollumboola
   White-rumped Sandpiper still present in same spot. Also noteworthy were
   3 Broad-billed Sandpipers briefly 6-6:15pm
   David Mitford
   Lesser Sand Plover Boat Harbour, Kurnell
   Amongst the usual mix for this time of year was a lone Lesser Sand
   Plover. Photographed attached.
   Greg McLachlan
   Peaceful Dove High Range, Wombeyan Caves
   One bird heard mid-morning today, by Wombeyan Caves Rd. My first record
   for the Southern Highlands.
   Lorne Johnson
   South Island Pied Oystercatcher Bundagen Headland
   Originally we saw the SIPO on the beach about 2km North of the end of
   Tuckers Rd. It then flew north about 500m to the rocks on Bundagen
   Headlands. There it rested with Australian Pied Oystercatchers allowing
   good comparison, until a Sea Eagle flew over and flushed all the birds
   present. In flight the SIPO was noticeably smaller than the APO, with a
   broad white trailing edge to the wing, joining the body, and a pointed
   white mark going up the back. After they had settled again a pair of
   APOs began to hassle the SIPO, eventually driving it south down the
   beach. It returned ten minutes later and was again driven off to the
   north, eventually flying out of sight. Under observation from
   approximately 2pm to 2:30pm.
   Elliot Leach; Louise Ashton; Chris Burwell; Antonia Burwell-Rodriguez
   LIttle Egret Nepean Weir, Penrith
   2 Little Egrets at different times. One hunting along weir itself, then
   a second bird about two hours later arriving from downstream. An
   interesting note is that the previously dense population of nesting
   cormorants (for several years) across the river is no more. For some
   unknown reason the only nesting birds I've seen were three darters (3
   nests), but the rest of the large quarry lake appeared just about
   devoid of life.
   Akos Lumnitzer
   Fri 9 Jan White-rumped Sandpiper Lake Wollumboola
   Good views at close range with about 9 others from 10:30-11:45am. Good
   comparison views next to Red-necked Stint. WRSA slightly larger,
   browner and duller, bill slightly decurved, tail feathers protrude past
   the tail. Speckles and some streaking on flanks. Overcast, no wind
   about 26C. First seen at Shoalhaven Heads on 5/1/15. Photo attached and
   eBird list attached but not complete.
   Carla Jackett
   Thu 8 Jan Little Bronze-Cuckoo, Forest Kingfisher, Coastal Emu Brooms
   Head Road, Taloumbi
   While observing an adult male Coastal Emu with 8 black-headed juveniles
   foraging actively in a paddock we heard two Little Bronze-Cuckoos in a
   nearby paperbark. When I located the Cuckoos I could see that they were
   both adult males. One was displaying to the other by spreading its
   wings and one was calling with a harsh call that I had not heard
   before. It was neither of the calls described for the species in
   HANZAB. I thought I saw a third Cuckoo but as the two males were moving
   about a fair bit it was hard to tell if there was an additional bird. A
   Forest Kingfisher was heard calling in the distance. The Emus
   disappeared suddenly when two Dingoes showed up.
   Greg Clancy & Russell Jago
   Wedge-tailed Eagle Matcham NSW
   Seen 500 m Central Coast Hwy. There is evidence of feeding at the
   location as there are multiple rabbit kills near a large eucalyptus.
   Seen in flight being hassled by magpies. This is the 3rd sighting since
   25 th Dec.2014
   T.Jones
   Sat 3 Jan Square-tailed Kite Basin View, St Georges Basin, South Coast
   adult foraging at tree-top level around houses in Basin View Parade
   Andrew Taylor
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>