birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 15 Dec 2014 09:14:55 +1000
   Birdline North Queensland

   Published sightings for the week ending 14 Dec 2014.

   Sat 13 Dec Sooty Oystercatcher Weipa Harbour
   2 birds flying over ahead of monsoon storms
   Ben Bright
   Fri 12 Dec Spotted Whistling-Duck Cattana wetlands
   First noticed by Jacqui Bennett and Michael Chapman, a group of 10
   Spotted Whistling-Duck was resting on the north-western shore of the
   large lagoon (Jabiru Lake) in the late afternoon. Good views through
   our binoculars and scope. Photo from the back of my camera attached;
   full eBird list to follow once I'm back home.
   Elliot Leach; Jacqui Bennett; Michael Chapman; Bill McDonald
   Red-necked Crake Abergowrie State Forest--Broadwater
   Whilst watching some honeyeater take a bath in a small stream on the
   rainforest track. I heard a noise behind me, only to find a single
   Red-necked Crake trying to slink away undetected.
   Andrew O'Brien
   Thu 11 Dec Gouldian Finch Field Road - Woodstock Locality
   One only Gouldian Finch (Black-headed form) It was about 1.5 off the
   ground on a fence near the road on the corner of Field Road and the
   Flinders Highway, near the bus stop. I watched it for about 2 minutes.
   It was Thursday morning at about 7:45am. This beautiful bird had a
   black head with blue around it, a purple chest and yellow under-belly.
   The bird flew in to about 1 metre distant and did not seem phased by
   its proximity to a human. (Moderator's note: - Most likely an aviary
   escapee)
   Jessie (surname withheld on request - per Len Ezzy)
   Wed 10 Dec Beach Stone-curlew Cungulla
   Spotted a pair of Beach Stone-curlew's hanging out with a multitude of
   small waders on the bank across from the boat ramp.
   Andrew O'Brien
   Sun 7 Dec Blue-faced Parrot-Finch Mt Lewis, (Julatten)--10km clearing
   Single bird seen at around 7:30am in the grasses at the clearing.
   Difficult to find as there were at least a couple of dozen Red-browed
   Firetail feeding there as well. It's call gave it away.
   Hickson Fergusson
   Oriental Cuckoo Riverside Gardens, Douglas, Townsville
   3 maybe more OCs high in raintrees, rarely left tree tops, many other
   cuckoos present
   Ed Pierce
   Fri 5 Dec Broad-billed Sandpiper Cape Bowling Green
   One, with Red-necked Stint, in the pools on top of the spit.
   Niel Bruce
   Mon 1 Dec Long-Tailed Finch Belleview and Nichum Stations northwest
   from Chillagoe.
   Individual birds and three flocks up to 20-30 birds on dams over a
   period of two weeks in November/December 2014.
   Dick Eussen - Wayne Peacock
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>