birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 15 Dec 2014 09:14:29 +1000
   Birdline New South Wales

   Published sightings for the week ending 14 Dec 2014.

   Mon 15 Dec Pheasant Coucal Eulah Creek
   After listening for calls unsuccessfully for the last 2 months, this
   morning at 7 I heard a Pheasant Coucal calling (3x) for the first time
   this season. It must be somewhere in dense undergrowth along Eulah
   Creek, about 20 km east of Narrabri, not far from the (white timber)
   bridge across the Eulah Creek (no photo).
   Michael Dahlem
   Sun 14 Dec Spectacled Monarch. Deep Creek reserve, Narrabeen.
   Got my second Sydney record this year of a Spectacled Monarch at Deep
   Creek this morning about 50 meters in from the Wakehurst Parkway.
   michael ronan.
   Little Eagle Farnell Ave, Loftus
   Observed 1 Little Eagle (light morph) cruising overhead near northern
   entrance to Royal NP this afternoon. Photograph attached.
   Greg McLachlan
   South Island Oystercatcher Lord Howe Island Airport
   I observed and photographed the SIPO feeding and flying between the
   airport and the nearby Mosely's swamp on Sunday the 14th and Friday the
   12th this past week. I was unable to find any Pectoral Sandpipers
   during this past week on Lord Howe Is.
   Jon Spicer-Bell
   Glossy Black Cockatoo, Rufous Songlark Terry Hie Hie
   A small flock of 4 Glossy Black Cockatoos were observed flying over
   broadacre farmland about 10km north of the village, this is the first
   record for this area. A single Rufous Songlark was observed singing on
   a fence in grassland, in the village. This is the first sighting for
   this site this year and the first for the whole north-west region since
   January. (Usually Rufous Songlarks are present almost everywhere
   throughout spring, not a single bird this year though.)
   Curtis Hayne
   Sat 13 Dec Long-tailed Jaeger, Buller's Shearwater, Wandering type
   Albatross. wattamolla royal national park.
   Good numbers of winter and summer birds from Wattamolla today including
   1 Buller's Shearwater at least 2 Wandering Albatross,20+Shy
   albatross,30+Black- browed Albatross and 6-7 Long-tailed Jaegers.
   michael ronan.
   Wandering Albatross Mistral Point, Maroubra
   A 2 hour sea watch at Maroubra this morning turned up a Wandering
   Albatross (heading northeast), 14 Black-browed Albatross (adults +
   imm.), 3 Arctic and 3 Pomarine Jaegars, a constant stream of small
   flocks of Short-tailed Shearwaters heading south, many Wedge-tails and
   a few Fluttering Shearwaters
   Robert Griffin
   Buller's Shearwater (2), White-chinned Petrel (5) Offshore--Wollongong
   pelagic
   2 Buller's Shearwaters and 5 White-chinned Petrels were the two
   standout highlights of this years' SOSSA December pelagic off of
   Wollongong. There was an excellent variety of tubenoses around, most
   likely as a result of the recent storms. Also 1 Parkinson's ( Black )
   Petrel, 6 Wandering Albatrosses, and 1 apparent 'Tasmanian' Shy
   Albatross.
   Logan Lalonde
   Collared Sparrowhawk, Brown Cuckoo-Dove, Cicadabird, Little Lorikeets
   Murrumbung HSD, Mardi near Tuggerah
   The CCGBNSW had their Christmas outing and break-up at the home of John
   & Carole Carpenter, The Valley Way, Mardi where 35 people saw 43 bird
   species during the morning. This included 28 Brown Cuckoo-Doves coming
   to a feeder, 2 Cicadabirds, a Collared Sparrowhawk apparently pursuing
   a Bellminer, a pair of Little Lorikeets, Scarlet Honeyeaters and Sacred
   Kingfisher, Black-faced Monarch, Koels and Channel-billed Cuckoos.
   Alan Morris
   Jacky Winter Whittaker Lagoon, Moree
   A Jacky Winter was heard calling repeatedly in cattle grazing farmland.
   Although probably listed as common, this is the first record for this
   particular area, in 6 years of monthly outings.
   Curtis Hayne
   Fri 12 Dec Bar-shouldered Dove South Maroubra
   Calling in scrub between the Anzac Rifle Range and the coast track to
   Magic Point.
   Ted Nixon
   Sooty Owl Tumut River upstream from 8 Mile Ck junction, Kosciuszko NP
   Two Sooty Owls in tall Mountain Gum forest. Unusual to record this
   species along a western flowing river in such a vegetation community.
   Martin Schulz
   Caspian Tern Nepean Weir, Penrith
   Reporting on behalf of my friend, who observed the tern near the weir
   at dusk today.
   Akos Lumnitzer for Peter Phealan
   Brush Cuckoo, Channel-billed Cuckoo Port Kembla Golf Course
   One Brush Cuckoo heard calling steadily at the Port Kembla Golf Course.
   Also one Channel-billed Cuckoo flew over near there.
   Logan Lalonde
   Australian Spotted Crake Eastlakes golf course
   One Australian Spotted Crake this morning. First for several months,
   pond nearest Maintenance shed. Group of Freckled Ducks still about.
   Bas Hensen
   Wandering Tattler, Sanderling Flat Rock, Ballina
   3 Wandering Tattlers and 7 Sanderlings on the reef this morning.
   Pleased to report good numbers of these two relatively uncommon
   species.
   Henry Coleman and Stanley Tang
   Thu 11 Dec Great Crested Grebe, Swamp Harrier, Whiskered Tern, Black
   Swan Lake Hiawatha, Yuraygir National Park
   8 Grebes floating on water, Harrier in air over edge of Lake, 37+ Terns
   flying low over Lake. Grebes had been absent for some time and had been
   observed a few days earlier by Russell and Matt Templeton. Solitary
   Black Swan on Lake possibly same bird observed by Russell in ocean off
   Wilsons Headland a few days earlier. Rare on Lake.
   Greg Clancy & Russell Jago
   White-throated Needletail, Brush Cuckoo, Wedge-tailed Eagle SW of
   Wilsons Headland, Yuraygir National Park
   35+ Needletails over, Cuckoo heard calling, adult pair of Eagles flying
   north (not common so close to the coast)
   Greg Clancy & Russell Jago
   Lewin's Rail Wolgan Valley (2km before resort entrance)
   I was in the Wolgan yesterday desperately trying to find Regent
   Honeyeaters, which have not been seen in the Capertee for a few months.
   I did not find any Regents, but I did find quite a bit of roadside /
   paddock Yellow Box trees in blossom and some of trees were dripping
   with small HE's (e.g. Fuscous, White-naped). Worth checking out if
   anyone is out that way and after going through the Capertee as well
   yesterday, I'd think that Regents are more likely to be in the Wolgan).
   I heard a Lewin's Rail calling from a weedy drainage line off to the
   north of the road about 2km short of the Emirates Resort entrance where
   there are some Yellow Box trees on the left side of the road (the bird
   would have roughly at -33 13 15s / 150 11 9e). These birds seem to turn
   up in the most random / marginal places so I wasn't overly surprised
   but I thought the record would be of interest. I note that Lewin's Rail
   isn't on the list of birds in the Capertee birding brochure, so they're
   probably scarce in this type of landscape.
   Mick Roderick
   Tue 9 Dec Musk Lorikeet Greenwich
   Several Musk Lorikeets back in Greenwich after an absence of several
   months, feeding in eucalyptus blossom near the Infants' School on
   Greenwich Rd.
   Ted Nixon
   Indian Ringneck, breeding Red-whiskered Bulbul Township of
   Burrumbuttock, northwest of Albury
   A single Indian Ringneck has been free living in and around the
   township for almost three months. In the last two weeks, it has been
   observed on multiple occasions associating closely with a pair of
   Australian King Parrots. Other noteworthy species seen in this location
   over past three days are a lone Black-tailed Native Hen, breeding pair
   of Red-whiskered Bulbul, flock of ~18 White-browed Woodswallow, Shining
   Bronze Cuckoo, pair pf Black-fronted Dotterel, Dollarbird, Great Egret,
   pair of Yellow-billed Spoonbill and Rufous Songlark with fledgling.
   David M Watson
   Crested Shrike-tit Riverside Park, Riverside Rd, Chipping Norton
   A pair was located building a nest in the top of a planted red gum
   sappling this morning. Only my 4th sighting of them at Riverside this
   year despite more than 40 visits.
   David James
   Caspian Tern Deeban Spit Port Hacking
   1 Caspian Tern with 18 Eastern Curlews and 2 Pied Oystercatchers at
   high tide.
   Julie Keating
   Glossy Black-Cockatoo (23) Kings Tableland, Wentworth Falls
   Glossies are fairly common along Kings Tableland however I have never
   seen this many before. Twenty-one birds were together on power lines
   and roadside trees near the Air services tower along Tablelands Road,
   and I saw another two later eating casuarina seeds in heath. About a
   dozen of the birds were still present an hour later.
   Mark Ley
   Mon 8 Dec Pilotbird Bellawongarah - private property
   A Pilotbird has been here calling everyday since the 8th. This is the
   first one heard or seen since 24/12/2011, when they were resident here
   for at least 5 years. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has
   records from the past 12-24 months on Berry Mountain.
   Carla Jackett
   Brolga Levenstrath Rd Levenstrath. nr Grafton
   6.00pm One Brolga on flat below house.
   Warren Thompson
   Sun 7 Dec Blue-billed Duck Killalea Conservation Reserve
   A pair of Blue-billed Duck, a Musk Duck, several Clamorous
   Reed-Warblers, many Black Swans and Coots, and a Swamp Harrier about
   Killalea Lagoon during the late morning. Further south a Topknot
   Pigeon, Brown Goshawk, Nankeen Kestrel, Dollarbirds, Satin Bowerbirds,
   Eastern and Crimson Rosellas; near Minnamurra Beach a female Leaden
   Flycatcher, Black-faced Monarch, Golden Whistler, Fan-tailed Cuckoo and
   4 White-throated Needletails as we'll as the usual coastal bush birds.
   Robert Griffin
   Glossy Black Cockatoo Lot 15, Kingfisher Road, Port Macqarie
   Not sure how long they were around for but spied one bird with its back
   to me so I clearly saw the tail. It flew off with another a few minutes
   later so I got a better look. Around 8.30am.
   Nikala Sim
   Sat 6 Dec Rufous Scrub-bird, Crested Shrike-tit, Musk Lorikeet
   Surveyors Creek Gully, Gibraltar Range National Park
   Scrub-bird heard calling (also on December 5), Shrike-tit and 2+
   Lorikeets heard calling.
   Greg Clancy
   Wandering Whistling-Duck Windang
   A pair of Wandering Whistling-Duck seen immediately west of Picnic
   Island, Windang (Lake Illawarra), in the early afternoon. Also in the
   vicinity 3 Caspian Tern, many Bar-tailed Godwits, several Eastern
   Curlews, a pair of Pied Stilts, a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and an Osprey.
   Robert Griffin
   Fri 5 Dec Little Eagle, Crested Shrike-tit, Red-browed Treecreeper,
   White-throated Treecreeper Dandahra Picnic Area, Gibraltar Range
   National Park
   Pale morph Little Eagle over forest opposite Gibraltar Range house, 1+
   Shrike-tit calling and 5 Red-browed Treecreepers (3 adult females, 1
   adult male and 1 immature male) caught and banded. Photos shows adult
   female and juvenile male. One adult female White-throated Treecreeper
   retrapped. Had been banded on 23 August 2013. .
   Greg Clancy, Wendy & Alan Pilkington
   Glossy Black-Cockatoo Platypus Picnic Area, Gibraltar Range National
   Park
   Three birds adult male, adult female and third bird with yellow ruff
   probably an immature female, feeding on fruits (cones) of Oak
   Allocasuarina rigida on roadside.
   Greg Clancy & Alan Pilkington
   Wed 3 Dec Gang-Gang Cockatoo Bellawongarah- Private property
   12 Gang-gangs observed over most of the day feeding and preening in
   eucalypts. 5 male juveniles noted. All birds not seen well as foggy
   weather. The highest number seen here at one time.
   Carla Jackett
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>