birding-aus

Cuckoo ID from Norfolk Island

To: "'martin cachard'" <>, "'greg clancy'" <>, "'Craig Doolan'" <>, <>
Subject: Cuckoo ID from Norfolk Island
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:14:00 +1100
I agree that it is a Pallid Cuckoo but as I recently learned when discussing
with others a claim put to me of an adult Pallid Cuckoo feeding a juvenile
Pallid Cuckoo, it is not necessarily a juvenile. More likely I suggest it is
an adult female. Apparently female Pallid Cuckoos can resemble, perhaps
retain, juvenile plumage into adulthood. In that instance it was concluded
that it was a male courting an adult female by feeding her, a behaviour that
has also previously been misinterpreted.
In  Margaret Christian's book 'Norfolk Island - the Birds' (2005), Pallid
Cuckoo has the status of 'rare vagrant'.