birding-aus

Dowitcher at Lake Tutchewop

To: "" <>
Subject: Dowitcher at Lake Tutchewop
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 01:37:08 +0000
Hey everyone,

Re the (likely) Long-billed Dowitcher at Lake Tutchewop, I ran in the water
manager of the lake on Sunday. He'd heard about the Dowitcher via a news
release and was quite astonished to see how many birders were visiting.
However, he also mentioned, that the reason he was there was to turn the water
that diverts into the Lake Tutchewop off.  In terms of background, the Barr
Creek Drainage Disposal Scheme (BCDDS) diverts saline water into Tutchewop
Lake, thus preventing ~30,000 t/year of salt from entering the Murray River. He
predicted that the lake would dry out very quickly i.e. on the next couple of
hot days. Therefore, if anyone wants to see it, you may want to do so fairly
soon.

As an aside, he also mentioned that Lake Tutchewop was currently embroiled in a
legal case with local farmers over an issue of water seepage. BCDDS had just
spent several million dollars investigating this, and it appears that it's
true, As a result, the future of Lake Tutchewop is in question. Being part of
the Kerang Lakes Ramsar sites this could be devastating, particularly for
saline dependent species such as Banded Stilt and various waders!

On another note, I just thought I’d mention that I saw the (likely) Long-billed
Dowitcher on Saturday! What a strikingly good looking bird, and in full
breeding plumage – such an interest long bill! Afterward I had a few quiet ales
with friends to celebrate! Very nice.

Cheers,

Tim

This email, including any attachment, is intended solely for the use of the
intended recipient. It is confidential and may contain personal information or
be subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended
recipient any use, disclosure, reproduction or storage of it is unauthorised.
If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender via return
email and delete it from your system immediately. Victoria University does not
warrant that this email is free from viruses or defects and accepts no
liability for any damage caused by such viruses or defects.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>