birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 27 Oct 2014 08:03:55 +1000
   Birdline Victoria

   Published sightings for the week ending 26 Oct 2014.

   Sun 26 Oct Banded Stilt (1800) Lake Tutchewop
   Large flock of Banded Stilt (1800) observed today at Lake Tutchewop.
   Large numbers of Whiskered Terns and waders (Marsh Sandpiper, Curlew
   Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, red-necked stint) also present.
   Simon Starr, James Mustafa
   Eastern Koel Numurkah
   Have heard the Eastern Koel here from our garden for a few days , got
   to see it at a far distance tonight in the northern part of Numurkah
   close to the High School.
   Richard & Catarina Gregson
   Scaly-breasted Lorikeet Tanunda Wetlands, Mill Park
   Single bird with 4 Musk Lorikeet in Eucalypts on Plenty River
   escarpment. Crummy photo but identifiable. Heaps of birds about
   including Aust Hobby.
   Peter Bennet
   Fri 24 Oct Eastern Koel Peel St, Bendigo
   At last - it's back again. Regularly heard for at least past 3 years in
   this area. We were missing it this year!
   KPleasants
   Satin Flycatcher Dandenong Ranges National Park
   Single vocal bird heard as it was moving through upper canopy, not
   seen. Corner of Nation Rd & Paddys Tk. First return for spring.
   Steve Davidson
   Thu 23 Oct Chanel - Billed Cuckoo Berwick
   A Channel- billed Cuckoo is back in the area where they have been seen
   for the last 4 years , east of Berwick avillagea on the way to
   Beaconsfield. My work colleagues saw it flying over Edrington Park R V
   at about 2.30 pm, harassed by Magpies it flew into the Moreton Bay Fig
   on the Princes Highway.
   Michael Collins & James Grant per Graham Beal
   Peregrine Falcon Bendigo Sacred Heart Cathederal
   The pair of Peregrines are back nesting on the upper platforms of the
   Cathedral again this year. Spotted today from Mackenzie Street side of
   the Cathedral.
   Greg and Janice McKay
   Eastern Koel Bendigo
   Originally heard from Booth Street chased call around the fenced off
   property eventually gaining access from Lily Street from employee on
   site. Sun had set so eventually spotlit bird for further views. Bird
   has been present in Bendigo area since last week and seen in it's other
   spot on Peel St.
   James Mustafa, Simon Starr
   Wed 22 Oct Shining Bronze-Cuckoo. Rear yard of large suburban garden in
   Hoppers Crossing 3029.
   At 1620 hours, I heard and then observed a single Shining Bronze-Cuckoo
   perched in the rear yard of my home address. This is a first siting for
   me at this location, although I have seen and heard them locally,
   especially at the Werribee Park and River precinct.
   Peter Gibbons
   Pacific Golden Plover Black Rock Reserve, Barwon Heads
   A flock of about 25 sighted on rocks with a large number of Red-necked
   Stints and 3 Ruddy Turnstones.
   Ian J Llewellyn
   Magpie Goose Western Treatment Plant (Werribee)
   3 Magpie Goose in 35E9 Conservation Pond, which is drying out nicely
   and looks good for Australian Painted Snipe at present.
   Steve Davidson
   Tue 21 Oct Turquoise Parrot, Painted Honeyeater Chiltern-Mt Pilot
   National Park--Bartleys Block
   Male Turquoise Parrot found feeding on ground close to entrance gate.
   Painted Honeyeater heard calling from various points, but eventually
   located at the north end near the dam. Problem was Fuscous Honeyeaters
   were constantly harassing a pair. Also of note were Black-chinned
   Honeyeater, Speckled Warbler and Western Gerygone.
   Dave Torr, Mark, Iian, Trevor & Len
   Dollarbird Wilby
   First spring return. Calling by the creek at the reserve. Again always
   the last spring migrant to return.
   Michael Ramsey
   Channel-billed Cuckoo Dookie
   The strangest birding experience I have had for some time. While
   sitting in my office at work I heard the loud, bizarre and unmistakable
   call of a Channel-billed Cuckoo, I raced outside and saw it briefly
   flying off to the east chased by the local magpies. It was likely
   around later in the afternoon as many of the local birds were very
   agitated with many alarm calls. First record in these parts and very
   rare in Victoria in general.
   Michael Ramsey
   Mon 20 Oct Marsh Sandpiper Coliban Water Treatment Plant, Epsom,
   Bendigo
   Marsh Sandpiper seen today. Not sure if one has been recorded here
   before. Also White-browed Scrubwrens - haven't seen these in 6 years of
   visiting the site.
   Ian Mayo & Murray Chambers
   Sun 19 Oct Southern Whiteface Glenhope
   At least two Southern Whiteface (others may have seen more) seen along
   Sievers Lane on a bird walk held by the Baynton-Sidonia Landcare Group
   on a property where a natural bush regeneration project is being
   undertaken.
   Sean Dooley
   Crested Bellbird Sullivan's Track, Newstead
   Several birds calling from tree tops. Easily located by driving with
   windows down.
   Dave Dickson
   White-browed Woodswallow, Peregrine Falcon Newtown, Geelong
   Flock of at least 50 woodswallows moving rapidly to NW very high OH
   (14:15). Also some ahead of main bunch and a few stragglers. Warm N
   wind dropped in previous 30 min, replaced by cooler SE sea-breeze. Also
   Peregrine, seen well in binoculars, "shadowing" the woodswallows as it
   circled behind the main bunch.
   Craig Morley
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list