birding-aus

Ticking software

Subject: Ticking software
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 18:19:02 +0800

John Leonard asked about software for recording your life list using IOC taxonomy with updates.

I use Wildlife Recorder. Not quite as simple as you wish for, but it does the job very well. Ideally it wants you to be specific about date and place of your sightings, but what you record is up to you. I record everything I see so that I get a year list, but you can simply record lifers if you wish. The records that I don't have specific details for I have entered as 01/01/2000. It updates about a month after the IOC has issued an update (4 times a year). It gives a list of the changes, and you run a verification task and it lists any records that might need to be altered (most splits it does automatically if you enter at sub species level). The checks are mostly when a sub species is deleted. It has options for Clements and Howard & Moore.

It has a few quirks, but it does everything I need it to, except that it includes Ashmore Reef as part of Western Australia, but I have worked around this.

I have defined a few new status codes such as Glimpse (Better View Desired), Introduced (I exclude these from my world and year lists), Another Person (for birds seen by others on tours I have been on), etc. You can make a code for Photographed, or Voice Recorded or whatever you would like. I have met people on tours who keep a 'shit list' of those birds they have seen defecate! You could keep a Banded list if you wanted.

I can easily print a checklist for any country (or state) I go to, and it marks those that I have already seen.

I have the Professional edition, as I wanted to create a database for Australian butterflies, frogs and reptiles.