birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 22 Sep 2014 09:53:28 +1000
   Birdline North Queensland

   Published sightings for the week ending 21 Sep 2014.

   Sat 20 Sep Black-chinned Honeyeater Orient Station, Ingham
   Five or six Black-chinned Honeyeater active and noisy in gums beside
   mangroves at end of Orient Road this morning. One or two immature
   birds. Perhaps a family group? First time I have seen or heard species
   at site - or anywhere near Ingham. Also, close by in tidal pool, five
   Common Greenshank. Again, first sighting of species at the Orient.
   Tony Ashton
   Peregrine Falcon Highway beside Ingham airstrip
   Peregrine Falcon ripping into remains of Masked Lapwing on ground
   alongside Bruce Highway at Ingham airstrip this morning. Flew into
   nearby trees. No way of telling if prey was struck by Falcon or maybe
   road victim. Blood and feathers visible on talons in picture.
   Tony Ashton
   Dollarbird Bamaga--Muddy Bay 10 43S 142 33E 1' Cell, Queensland, AU
   1. First noted for the season and only otherwise reported on e-bird
   from NT for the last month; first QLD returnee?
   Rob Reed
   Broad-billed Flycatcher Bamaga--Muddy Bay 10 43S 142 33E 1' Cell,
   Queensland, AU
   2. Heard flycatcher but call not necessarily totally reminiscent of
   leaden or shining. Located bird and came to 3m above with Audubon
   caller. Bill shape, graduated tail feathers and white eye ring noted
   readily distinguishing it from female leaden (per Graeme Chapman's
   website). White edging to outer tail feathers also seen well. Followed
   this bird for a few minutes flitting about crowns of mangroves feeding;
   soon joined by a second also calling. 2 records on e-bird for the area
   - 2007 Horn Island and 1994 Somerset on mainland nearby. Although well
   noted in WA and NT surveys, is also represented in atlas and on Klaus
   Uhlenhut's "Bird Week" cumulative list over some 20 years-plus. Again
   probably reflects an under-surveyed area plus an easily overlooked bird
   when assumptions are made on call.
   Rob Reed
   Thu 18 Sep Australian Pratincole Bamaga: Back track to airport military
   encampments 10 55S 142 26E 1' Cell, Queensland, AU
   4. Appeared to all be adults in breeding plumage. Scoped nicely in
   bright sunlight coming from behind me. On runway edge and sauntering
   over runway chasing insects on foot and on the wing at low level.
   Nearest other sightings I can find records for are Weipa, Iron Range
   and PNG on e-bird. However, I note Draffan et al (EMU Dec. 1983)
   article on "Birds of the Torres Strait" has records for 6 islands of
   the mainly western areas being a "winter visitor on open swamps and
   airstrips". Again this sighting will likely reflect chronic
   under-reporting from the northern Cape York area.
   Rob Reed
   Wed 17 Sep Pectoral Sandpiper Normanton Town Common
   Single bird photographed with other sandpipers, at dam in town common
   on northern edge of town.
   Paul Richardson & Phillip George
   Mon 15 Sep Rajah Shelduck Tyto Wetlands, Ingham, North Queensland
   Confirming Tony Ashton's sighting of the Rajah Shelduck at the Ingham
   Tyto Wetlands. I saw the bird paddling serenely across one of the
   waterways 20 metres away from me late that same afternoon - and, darn
   it, I hadn't brought my camera with me! I'm not a dedicated birdwatcher
   as such, but I visit the wetlands on almost a daily basis. I was
   delighted to find this species in my bird book when I got home shortly
   afterwards and then emailed Tony about it. He told me of his posting in
   Eremaea (which I'd never heard of before).
   Robert Charles Norman King
   Oriental Plover Cook Rd (Atherton area)
   Two Oriental Plover flew over me in good light about 8.30am, circling
   over a field of corn stubble before heading in the direction of
   Atherton.
   John Grant
   Sun 14 Sep Radjah Shelduck Tyto Wetlands (Ingham)
   Radjah Shelduck spotted making low flight almost circling eastern end
   of main lagoon; bird appeared almost brilliant black and white in
   morning sun; no sign of it after it turned and headed west over
   northern side of lagoon. Can't recall ever seeing the species in Tyto,
   though no unknown in other wetlands around Ingham. no picture
   Tony Ashton
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>