birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 00:05:05 +0930
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, September 8, 2014 to Sunday, September 14, 2014:

Area: SA

Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Location: Onkaparinga Gorge NP, bottom of Gorge in the area known as the
Punchbowl as part of the Onkaparinga River.

Rufous Whistler (Pachycephala rufiventris) (1) An uncommon species for the
Onkaparinga NP, I've only ever seen and heard 2 in the last 5 years of
regularly being in the Park and this was a very unexpected sighting. Full
coloured Male singing almost constantly at the very bottom of the Gorge.
Beautiful with it's call echoing between the cliff walls . Managed to whislte
and coax the male over to me to a distance of less than 30 feet for a positive
ID, but no pictures taken. Not sure if a female was present, but the male was
showing his rufous/peach colours beautifully, nice to hope they may breed well
in the park and become a regular sighting.
The Onkaparinga is bristling with Spring bird activity at the moment, lots of
variety to be seen.

Reported by: Colin Cock on Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Location: Onkaparinga River Recreation Park

Crested Shrike-tit (Falcunculus frontatus) (2) 2 Birds along side main pond
(alongside South Road) tearing tree bark and pulling out grubs, photos taken.
Also pair of Blue billed Duck displaying on adjacent smaller pond, and several
Fairy Martins collecting mud from river bank.

Reported by: William Brooker on Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Date: Friday, September 12, 2014

Location: Onkaparinga Recreational and the National Park sections.

Rufous Whistler (Pachycephala rufiventris) (1) Out on the far end of the ridge
line from Gate 10 a single male calling his love song out.

White-necked Heron (Ardea pacifica) (1) One bird carefully stalking the edges
of the drying out wetland situated near the old railway bridge over the river.

Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia) (1) Two birds loafing in the shallows of the
samphire pond adjacent to the Commercial Road adventure Park.

I took two visitors from the UK on a trip from the Onka Estuary to the eastern
end of the onkaparinga parks for a total of 58 species the three birds
mentioned above being the highlights. I was pleased to note that the Night
Heron colony at Old Noarlunga Market oval are holding their own in numbers. The
Peregrine Falcons seem to have neglected to use their breeding site this year
and were not apparent either on the Cliff or overhead?

Reported by: Anthony John Bainbridge on Friday, September 12, 2014

Date: Saturday, September 13, 2014

Location: Black Swamp, Currency Creek Winery

Lewin's Rail (Lewinia pectoralis) (1) 3 birds responded strongly after some
persistence to playback calls on the north-side of the swamp track. All came
within very close proximity.

Little Eagle (Hieraaetus morphnoides) (1) In flight over the swamp, harassed by
a Dusky Woodswallow

Spotless Crake (Porzana tabuensis) (1) Repeatedly responded to Lewin's Rail
playback where the road fords the river (as did a Buff-Banded Rail).

39+ species in total for my first time at this site. Other notables for me were
Shining Bronze Cuckoo (heard) and Varied Sittella.

Reported by: Thomas Jaensch on Sunday, September 14, 2014

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'