birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 00:05:08 +0930
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, September 1, 2014 to Sunday, September 7, 2014:

Area: SA

Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Location: Coppermine Rd, Williamstown - western edge of Hale Conservation Park

Square-tailed Kite (Lophoictinia isura) (1) flying low over tree canopies in
home garden. My 2 yr old daughter exclaimed "bird - big!" as it circled not far
overhead showing a clearly visible white face. Seen the following day at the
same time over tree canopies in the adjoining Hale Conservation Park.

Reported by: Amanda Pearce on Monday, September 1, 2014

Date: Sunday, August 31, 2014

Location: Pompoota near Murray Bridge

Crested Bellbird (Oreoica gutturalis) (1) Heard calling from some remnant
farmland mallee scrub on a few occasions, then later in the afternoon was
surprised to see one bird perched on a fence wire a few hundred metres from the
nearest scrub giving me a good view with my 10X50 binoculars as it sat some 60
or 70 metres away (not calling on this occasion.)

Barn Owl (Tyto alba) (1) Single bird doing its quartering thing over patchy
cereal crop regrowth

Stubble Quail (Coturnix pectoralis) (1) Quite a large number of single and
double sets of birds flushed from borders of standing crop and dropping very
quickly back into the dense cover everywhere.

Southern Boobook (Ninox boobook) (1) Driving along the edges of the crop later
at night amid a massive hatching of moths and other insects in the spotlight
when a Boo book landed about one metre away from the car on a post top before
realising its mistake and flying off again. Dunno who was more surprised?

Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus axillaris) (1) One bird safely tucked up for the
night about 6 to 8 metres up a tall tree

Our regular rabbit control exercises in this area have produced some
interesting sightings and I hope to report more as the seasons advance.

A warm Northerly persisted all night up to 30 kph

Reported by: Anthony John Bainbridge on Monday, September 1, 2014