birding-aus

crocodile attack at Adelaide River

To: "Alan Gillanders" <>, "Denise Goodfellow" <>, "Peter Shute" <>
Subject: crocodile attack at Adelaide River
From: "Charles Silveira" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 13:51:09 +1000
Hi Alan,

I was camped at the old camping ground, a couple of hundred metres from Uluru (Ayers Rock), from late August to early September 1979 (birds observed submitted to the first atlas) and was amazed that not only did dingoes come past the tents every day, but that campers also fed them! That was about a year before the Chamberlain incident. I consequently did not fear the seemingly semi-tame dingoes as I roamed the area during the day and spot-lighted around Uluru during the night. I had hoped to see pythons around the rocks at night, but had to make do with Brush-tailed Possums in the canopies of the trees at the base of Uluru. Sadly, the possums are now thought to be extinct in the area!

Also had Derek Roff drive me to a site at which he had found the Pied Honeyeater nesting; he was proud to say that he was saving the site up for the legendary Roy Wheeler's upcoming visit to Uluru.

Cheers,

Charlie

Charles Silveira
Melbourne