birding-aus

Yellow Bittern at North Lakes as a sociological study; any apologies to

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: Yellow Bittern at North Lakes as a sociological study; any apologies to Sandra?
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 07:14:26 +0930
As someone whose post grad study is on the sociology of birders (US in this
case),  I admit to finding the responses to Sandra’s original email rather
interesting as well.  However, I was also dismayed, a) by the nature of the
attacks on Sandra, and b), because some Birding Aussers seem unaware that some
birders and photographers do behave badly.  And I’ve not seen any indication
that those who sailed into the attack, have offered an apology to Sandra.

Australian society seems ill-equipped to deal with the minority who do behave
badly, like the birders who trespassed while trying to get a better look at the
Red Goshawk at Mataranka, and the photographer who attempted to climb its
nesting tree.   The consequences can be out of proportion to the action.
Which is why, when organising a tourism project with Kunwinjku people in Arnhem
Land some  years ago, elders and I decided to avoid attracting visitors who
might behave in such a way whatever their interests.

At least now, if a Yellow Bittern or some other interesting bird turns up here
at Darwin River, I have a better idea of whom I can safely tell.

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841

PhD candidate

Founding Member: Ecotourism Australia
Founding Member: Australian Federation of Graduate Women Northern Territory
043 8650 835