birding-aus

Yellow Bittern Hysteria

To: Arthur & Denise Carew <>
Subject: Yellow Bittern Hysteria
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 20:12:42 +0930
Quite true.

Here’s a quote from a US couple I interviewed for my PhD

Australian rules are perhaps a bit dodgy at times (Dr. Stellar).

 Ms Stellar explained:

When I was first learning to bird we were being very careful looking at this
little wren hidden deep in a bush and this Australian guy came along ... he
just ... flushed it out so he could get a look at it.  And that was (when)
America discovered Australian Rules football which is, of course, even rougher
than our football.  So that became Australian Rules birding which is a little
rougher than what we would do.

Many other respondents complained both about other birders and photographers
behaving badly.

Denise Lawungkurr  Goodfellow
PO Box 71
Darwin River, NT, Australia 0841

PhD candidate

Founding Member: Ecotourism Australia
Founding Member: Australian Federation of Graduate Women Northern Territory
043 8650 835