birding-aus

Yellow Bittern hysteria

To: <>
Subject: Yellow Bittern hysteria
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 18:32:31 +1000
I am no photographer and sadly I do not have the anything like the financial
capacity to go chasing after rarities like this, so I am not involved and I
am not getting involved in criticising people here. However it does seem to
me to be a bit extreme, alarmist and overly accusing and of a lapse of logic
to be harsh on someone for approaching close enough to flush the bird. My
thought on reading this is: how is someone supposed to know how close is too
close. This flight distance varies between species and sometimes according
to habitat and other things. We may all approach a bird for a view and at
some likely unpredictable distance the bird decides to move away. To then
suggest it has left the area for that reason is hard to sustain. There are
many other reasons why a bird will arrive and leave.

Philip