birding-aus

Yellow Bittern in Brisbane.

To: "" <>
Subject: Yellow Bittern in Brisbane.
From: Paul Walbridge <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 09:46:50 +1000
Hi All, Brian Russell and myself were around the traps on Saturday and visited
a couple of sites around North Lakes. One site where a 'pair' of Australian
Little Bitterns had been present for some time, which neither of us had been to
before, turned upboth birds while we were checking out several species of
honeyeater feeding in a wattle. We managed just a couple of shots of the Aussie
male and several of the female bird which was far more prone to fly around and
its call was different. Shots were sent down south for analysis and the
immediate response was that it was probably a Yellow Bittern, since confirmed
by Davies, Rogers & Carter and an expert based in Asia. I will now write up and
submit the record as the first live mainland sighting. I have no doubt a few of
the local birders have seen this bird already but anyone else wishing to twitch
the bird just send me an e-mail and I'll give you the street name (North Lakes
is a large complex, which one can easily get lost in). The particular lake is
also in a rather peaceful section of the complex and we would expect visiting
birders to show some respect for the local populace. The streets are rather
narrow and won't stand up to large numbers of extra vehicles. Also one would
expect observers to keep to the foot paths and observe the birds from a
respectful distance. The actions of a certain few local 'bird photographers' in
particular will be monitored. Enjoy the bird, one only has to sit down for a
while and it shows itself quite regularly through the day. Cheers - Paul W.

My e-mail address is now
<>

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.
Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is strictly prohibited.  The information contained in this email,
including any attachment sent with it, may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.
If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone collect on
Australia +61 1800 198 175 or by return email.  You should also delete this
email, and any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hard
copies produced.
If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute or
take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this email is also prohibited.
Although Queensland Health takes all reasonable steps to ensure this email does
not contain malicious software, Queensland Health does not accept
responsibility for the consequences if any person's computer inadvertently
suffers any disruption to services, loss of information, harm or is infected
with a virus, other malicious computer programme or code that may occur as a
consequence of receiving this email.
Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views of the sender and
not the views of the Queensland Government.