birding-aus

White-Throated Grasswrens, NT

To: "" <>
Subject: White-Throated Grasswrens, NT
From: Tim Jones <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:12:16 +1000

Anyone,
I tried to see the WTGWs a few years back at Gunlom, but like most, failed. I
am very interested in trying Jim Jim creek, but it is probably best to get a
group together to do this. It would have to be around mid-August for me to do
it, and I may struggle for a more than a few days off work.
However, if there are others interested, please let me know, and John, if you
are happy to do this, would you be able to email me back so I can get a better
picture of what this entails?
Many thanks!
Tim Jones

Mon 16 Jun

White-throated Grasswren
Jim Jim Creek, Kakadu, Northern Territory

Thanks to Tim Faulkner for researching NT online burn scar data to determine
what may well be the only remaining mature (10-20 years old) spinifex sandstone
habitat in the 'World Heritage' Kakadu NP. The habitat though only small, and
surrounded by scorched country, was rich in reptile fauna, including a possibly
eastern-most record of Pygmy King Brown Snake (well named as Pseudechis
weigeli), which I was videoing when  I heard the only WT Grasswren I was to
encounter. An unforgettable moment, but one that had me grappling with my
priorities.

It is a very big job getting to the site, with camping permits required, but my
advice to anyone who wants to see this bird is to not leave it too late. Last
year was the most extensive burn year for Kakadu, and the momentum appears to
be ongoing. As I hiked out today a fresh series of fires through visible
gullies were visible. BTW I tried on previous days to find mature habitat atop
Gunlom and at Plum Tree Ck, areas I know well from many explorations over the
past few decades, but could not find any, and very disappointing herp activity.

With the WTGW, I have now photographed all IOC Grasswren species within a
two-month period, all solo. WTGW was definitely the toughest!

John Weigel