birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 23 Jun 2014 03:01:16 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 22 Jun 2014.

Tue 17 Jun Cotton Pygmy-Goose Bowra Sanctuary, Cunnamulla, Queensland
On turkey nest dam near bore head. Well west of reported range
Andy Knowlson thru Bob Wallace

Mon 16 Jun White-throated Grasswren Jim Jim Creek, Kakadu, Northern Territory
Thanks to Tim Faulkner for researching NT online burn scar data to determine what may well be the only remaining mature (10-20 years old) spinifex sandstone habitat in the 'World Heritage' Kakadu NP. The habitat though only small, and surrounded by scorched country, was rich in reptile fauna, including a possibly eastern-most record of Pygmy King Brown Snake (well named as Pseudechis weigeli), which I was videoing when I heard the only WT Grasswren I was to encounter. An unforgettable moment, but one that had me grappling with my priorities. It is a very big job getting to the site, with camping permits required, but my advice to anyone who wants to see this bird is to not leave it too late. Last year was the most extensive burn year for Kakadu, and the momentum appears to be ongoing. As I hiked out today a fresh series of fires through visible gullies were visible. BTW I tried on previous days to find mature habitat atop Gunlom and at Plum Tree Ck, areas I know well from many explorations over the past few decades, but could not find any, and very disappointing herp activity. With the WTGW, I have now photographed all IOC Grasswren species within a two-month period, all solo. WTGW was definitely the toughest!
John Weigel

Sun 15 Jun Grey-headed Albatross (Subject to submission to NSW ORAC) Stockton Beach, New South Wales
This immature Grey-headed Albatross was found by Dean Portelli at Stockton Beach on the 15th June. [Moderator's note (NH): This and the one from Friday, 13th June 2014 (#218326) are two of the few well-documented records of Grey-headed Albatross (GHAL) in NSW. While on the one hand most claims of juvenile/immature GHALs are now considered likely to have been instead juvenile/immature Black-browed (BBAL) or Campbell Albatross (CAAL), on the other hand white-headed immature GHAL may be underreported due to misidentification as BBAL or CAAL. Sightings of Grey-headed Albatross in NSW are subject to submission to NSW ORAC.]
Nikolas Haass (moderator) for Dean Portelli

Regent Honeyeater Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park, Victoria
One unbanded and two 2010 captive realised banded birds at Chiltern today. Terrific extended views. Some mimicry of Red Wattlebird calls noted by the birds. Feeding off some lightly flowering ironbark and also actively hawking for insects.
Michael Ramsey-Bronzewing Birding Services

Fri 13 Jun Two Grey-headed Albatross (Subject to submission to NSW ORAC) Stockton Beach, New South Wales
Dean Portelli spoke to two of their staff who were on the beach Friday, 13th June, when the beachwashed birds were discovered while doing a bird survey HBOC. One of them took photos of all three birds. One bird was the Grey-headed Albatross reported for Sunday, 15th June (#218304), the second a juvenile/immature giant-petrel (photos don't show the head) and the third this second immature Grey-headed Albatross! Neither of the two beach-washed Grey-headed Albatross was found Friday, 20th June, despite searching for them. [Moderator's note (NH): This and the one from Sunday, 15th June (#218304) are two of the few well-documented records of Grey-headed Albatross (GHAL) in NSW. While on the one hand most claims of juvenile/immature GHALs are now considered likely to have been instead juvenile/immature Black-browed (BBAL) or Campbell Albatross (CAAL), on the other hand white-headed immature GHAL may be underreported due to misidentification as BBAL or CAAL. Sightings of Grey-headed Albatross in NSW are subject to submission to NSW ORAC.]
Nikolas Haass (moderator) for Dean Portelli

Sun 8 Jun Regent Honeyeater (Ryans Rd) Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park, Victoria
4 birds seen, 3 of them banded. Very vocal and the wild bird was vigorously defending territory.
Kate Daniel and John Saw

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birdlife Australia and hosted by Eremaea Birdlines.