birding-aus

Identification help, please

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Identification help, please
From: "Bob Ashford" <>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 22:12:49 +1000
Hi Birders,

In April I enjoyed a few days in Pondicherry, southern-east India.

While travelling the local countryside I saw this raptor and managed to get
a few shots of it before we passed and it flew away

We were in fairly dry scrubby environment though there was a large lake
nearby

My first thought was a Kite,  but the flying shot seems to show white on the
upper wing and there appears to be a hint of white rump.

Maybe it's a harrier. I'm stumped, probably because I have been studying it
far too closely, far too long

Can anybody offer some suggestion please?

Click on this link for the photos
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eeaowxilbgxkhrj/AAB0IQ62yIP1n8Ce2oDhhq_4a

Many thanks

Bob Ashford