birding-aus

Vanuatu kingfisher ID assistance sought

To: Scottie <>
Subject: Vanuatu kingfisher ID assistance sought
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:48:47 +1100
G'day Scottie

No books here at work but according to The Handbook of the Birds of the
World online (www.hbw,com) there are only two possibilities.

Chestnut-bellied Kingfisher (*Todiramphis farquhari*) is restricted to
forests on Espiritu Santo, Malo and Malakula islands.  It has no
supercilium, a white throat and the rest of the underparts uniform
rufous-orange.

Your bird is Collared Kingfisher- probably *Todiramphus chloris santoensis*.
Unlike the Australian birds some of the Pacific island forms have this
reddish supercilium and wash to the breast and belly.

Cheers
Steve