birding-aus

Swifts

To: Helen Larson <>, birding-aus NEW <>, "mike tarburton (SWIFT records)" <>
Subject: Swifts
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:44:37 +1100
hello all...
my apologies for this much  delayed posting, but I've had major computer &
on-line issues...something of a constant frustration up here at the moment!!

some 2 weeks ago on 01/03/14 I had the lucky fortune to witness a massive mixed
flock of hawking swifts above the southern end of Trinity Beach, where I live
north of Cairns.
conditions were stormy & time was from 7:30-8:30am.
amongst the flock I counted at least 80 White-throated Needletails, 50-ish Aust
Swiftlets, 100's (i'm guessing 2000+)  of Fork-tailed Swifts, together with
many White-breasted Woodswallows & a few Welcome Swallows... flying ants were
their prey...

this is the highest recent count I've had of needletails on the Cairns lowlands
in many years...many of the Fork-tailed's were in tail moult but there were no
House Swifts discernible in the group, all birds with shortish forked tails
were definite Forkies.

a truly amazing morning!!
cheers
martin cachard, Cairns