birding-aus

Please help Restore the West Pond

Subject: Please help Restore the West Pond
From: Peter Post <>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 17:30:10 -0500

Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in New York City is one of the premier birding sites on the Atlantic Coast of North America and birders throughout the world come here annually. The freshwater West Pond, once a Mecca for rare, endangered and threatened species became a wasteland when it was destroyed by hurricane Sandy in 2012.

The JBWR is part of the Gateway National Recreation Area (GNRA) within the National Park Service. Statements by some GNRA representatives raise concern that they may not restore the Pond (the New York Times, February 10, 2014). No action has been taken since Sandy; no decision is expected until nearly the end of this year; and there is great concern that GNRA will miss the opportunity to draw on Sandy Recovery funds. We need to communicate the importance of the Refuge and its restoration to government officials who have the authority to restore the West Pond at all levels, from the Refuge management to the Secretary of the Interior. We, therefore, ask you to please join the Birder's Coalition for Gateway by signing our petition to Restore the West Pond. Several birders from Australia have already done so.

Here is the link for further information and to sign the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/sally-jewel-restore-the-west-pond-at- jamaica-bay-wildlife-refuge-new-york

or

http://tinyurl.com/west-pond-petition

Thanks,